Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Diversity Continues to be an On-Going Issue in the News

 Madeline Thomas

mt688819@ohio.edu

Photo courtesy of Anjali Nair


I never had to think about diversity in journalism because I look like a white girl. In reality, I am Mexican, Lebanese, and German, but nobody would know that if I did not tell them. I can easily pass as white, so I have always felt adequately represented in the media. I never worry about being attacked because of my race or ethnicity.


Unfortunately, many people do not share my experience. As a result, their representation in the media may be offensive or misleading. Even worse, they might suffer from assaults that stem from unwarranted prejudice. As an up-and-coming journalist, it is my job to understand the importance of diversity. The United States is called a melting pot for a reason, and so it is only fair that journalists and other media agencies are as diverse as their audiences.


As well as working to become more diverse, companies should also properly acknowledge when they have made mistakes regarding diversity. For example, when Dove released an insensitive commercial in 2017, there was immediate backlash from the black community- one of the target audiences of the commercial. As a result, Dove issued a statement clarifying their intended goal, which was undoubtedly a step in the right direction. However, that was not the first time a company made a mistake with its marketing strategies.


There is a simple way to avoid these mistakes, though; companies need to hire a more diverse group of people to represent their audiences accurately. As a white-passing person who grew up in a predominantly white town, I know that I cannot accurately represent all of the people I will provide news for. Instead, I can help create safe spaces for BIPOC and people within the LGBTQ+ community. I want to help prevent situations like the one that happened to the family of Edmund Lee. The more people see minorities in the news, the more they will hopefully stop being so afraid and hateful towards people who do not present as straight or white.

Diversity is an essential part of journalism, and without diversity, journalists cannot accurately provide information for their audiences. Therefore, no matter what nationality or race people are, we should strive for a diverse and informed newsroom. The goal is to create inclusive media and keep people informed, not making them feel separated and divided.

No comments:

Post a Comment