Saturday, July 18, 2020

Misleading the Masses

Wytosick, Amber    aw238809@ohio.edu

 Images are a powerful tactic used by the media to invoke an emotional response and strike a trigger amongst their audience. One of the ways the media does this is through the use of graphic images.  The images will vary between news programs because each seems to have their unwritten agenda. I think the best current example of this is the Black Lives Matter protests. All around the world, people peacefully protested, myself included. Yet, certain programs only spoke about the few instances where riots had broken out. I believe the same situation occurs for stories on a smaller scale as well. Such as the stories we see about pit bulls attacking kids. I have seen news stations plaster the screen with scarred kids, but we don’t hear about the millions of docile pit bulls in the world at any other time.

One of a series of photos published by Fox News of the Minneapolis Protests

I believe graphic symbols can weaponize the media at times. I also feel that the reason the media choose to do this is that bad news spreads faster. It’s easy to get ratings when people are terrified and feel compelled to watch your program or read your article. I also feel that today’s media is strongly entangled in the political parties’ agendas in this country. By using graphic images they can create a narrative that benefits their political party. I think it is pretty clear that both FOX News and CNN affiliate with certain parties. One of them, which I won’t reveal, does align a little more with my views, but I can’t watch either. Why? First, I don’t want to be herded like a cow (or sheep) to the version of the truth I am expected to believe. Second, I genuinely disdain the way the news is given. I have witnessed reporters on both of these programs being unnecessarily condescending to those with views that don’t match their own. I think that is the most counterproductive cringey thing to watch. However, I think some people watch this and begin to feel the opposite views are inferior. 

Now, we have viewers that are essentially eating out of the network’s palm, so if we add the use of graphic images, it is possible to also scare them into loyalty. To me, it seems like cult behavior. In the 2016 election too many people voted for who they believed was the “lesser evil”, based on what the news said about the candidates. This is America. If we are at a point where we are voting against a candidate rather than for a candidate, are we still governed by the people or the media?  

This week I decided to add links (below) of videos of reports by both FOX NEWS and CNN regarding the George Floyd murder/protests. If you watch them both you will be able to compare and contrast their use of images, as well as their narration.

FOX News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-eNzaVheA0&has_verified=1&bpctr=1595087226

CNN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgyR3nSvyf0

Note: You will need to log into YouTube (via your Gmail account) to verify your age to watch at least one of these.


1 comment:

  1. Your commentary is spot on and highlights the consistent abuse by the media on any actions that are a threat to the status quo. In order to disparage or smear the reputation of any movement or protest the media begins assaulting their credibility. Often the report will solely focus on the damage opportunists and rioters incur and bury any information that would present the protests in a favorable light. Thankfully I realized this at a young age and it's led to a more well rounded view of public affairs and the way we view turmoil within society.

    ReplyDelete