Monday, September 9, 2019

Being Ethical in Public Relations

Isaac Miller  im830016@ohio.edu

It is important to be ethical and truthful in journalism and public relations because the public deserves information that is presented in a responsible and truthful way. It is also important for journalists and PR practitioners to make ethical decisions because not doing so could have negative consequences for them. It could also end up having negative consequences for the company they work for, such as a damaged reputation.

Some people may not think that the profession of public relations is like journalism, but it actually is. People in the field of public relations need to make ethical decisions when they send out information. According to the Public Relations Society of America website, the profession of public relations continues to evolve, and there should be ethical standards that are relevant because there are things that happen every day that require ethical thinking. I think that codes of ethics are important in journalism and public relations because they set guidelines on how you should make decisions and carry out your work. It is not mandatory to be a member of a group like the PRSA, but it is still a good idea to examine the codes of ethics that they provide. The PRSA has a code of ethics that includes advocacy, honesty, expertise, independence, loyalty, and fairness.

                                            Image courtesy of  Ragan Communications
                    https://www.ragan.com/the-time-is-now-to-put-pr-ethics-front-and-center/

I believe that the most important of these ethics that should be followed is honesty. I believe that honesty is the most important because being truthful is one of the most important things in journalism. The public will lose trust in a PR organization if they find out the information that they are receiving is not the truth and is actually fake news. Another ethic that is important to me as a student journalist is loyalty. I am a news and information student, but there is something that I am involved with that is related to public relations. I do most of the posting on the Facebook page for the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway, a local tourist railroad. I post information about upcoming trains to help promote them, and I always try to do so in a way that shows my commitment to the railroad and the public interest. I make sure to post truthful information that will look good on the railroad and give the public the information that they should know about our trains.

Not being ethical with the posts I make could have consequences for both the railroad and myself. An example would be if I posted false information about our trains. It could affect the railroad because potential customers would be receiving false information, and they could lose trust in us if we are not giving out truthful information. It could affect me because it will damage my reputation, and the board of trustees may decide that I am not trustworthy enough to have access to the railroad's Facebook page. The things I do for the railroad are only volunteer, but I still try to be ethical when I am using their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment