Monday, May 30, 2011

Journalists and social media

By Lucas Bechtol

Lb175806@ohio.edu

Social media is now an important part of journalism. It played an important part in covering the Iranian riots after the 2009 election, as foreign journalists were unable to go to Iran, the media had to rely on unconfirmed Tweets or not cover the story at all.

And then there are the entertaining stories, such as the man who unknowingly Tweeted about the mission that killed Osama bin Laden. Journalists needed to be active on Twitter to get these stories.

It is so important that a new way of looking at online media, the news diamond (introduced in an article entitled "Model for the 21st century newsroom," was created involving the use of social media.

But, as a journalist am I allowed to have a Facebook or Twitter where I can be an average person? Or, does my position as journalist mean that I can’t have my own thoughts and opinions and have to be completely objective in everything?

Let’s face it, journalists are people, too. They have thoughts and opinions about the world and people around them, they are human, they have to. A political journalist is going to have thoughts on the issues and candidates; they know them too well not to. A cop reporter is going to have thoughts on cops, the law and even politics as well. It is inevitable.

We are allowed to have these feelings and beliefs, and we must disregard them when covering the news.

But what about online?

I’m not going to add anyone to my personal Facebook who is a boss or a source, only the people I consider my friends and with whom I want to keep in touch. These are the people with whom I would discuss political issues or current affairs with in person. Am I not allowed to do that? Am I not allowed a personal life?

People do need to be careful about what they put on Facebook, especially if they are going to be a public person and put stuff out there. Personally, no non-friends can see any of my information, just a picture.

So, if this is the case, why can’t I profess my support of the Second Amendment, for example? The people who will see it are only the people I would have had that sort of discussion with in the first place. If I was opening it up to others, then I would see the need to be more careful.

I have the right to have opinions, even as a journalist, or else I would be told definitively to never vote in an election. Instead, I’m simply told to not register with a specific party.

No comments:

Post a Comment