Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Formally Known as Zo Murda

Lorenzo Washington -- lw925107@ohio.edu

Yea believe it or not that was my myspace and first facebook name. Well until facebook became so "sophisticated". Originally I was a myspace junky. I loved the fact that you could have music on your mypscae page. The top ten friends and the background images. I’ll be the first to admit that it took me a while kick the habit for Zuckerberg. But my intentions were pure and of the adolescents. I just wanted to have unlimited pictures. Sure I would miss the music, but I couldn’t turned down the unlimited access to G.I.B. (girls in bikinis) that girls where posting. So I crossed over. Just for leisure. I was only a 10th grader at the times.

I used to just have about 100 fb friends and the features where limited to wall and album posting

5 years later…





I held 5 jobs since the day I turned 16 and 4 of my 5 employees use facebook now. My buddy list expanded to well over 1,000 people. —which still amazes me because I have about 200 contacts on my cell phone , counting pizza huts, movie phone, d.p doughs, etc. and I probably only use 35 of them. Now there’s relationship statuses, event invitations, marketing pages.

ALL I WANTED WAS TO SEE PICTURES OF SOME OF MY GIRL FRIENDS.


After I graduated high school I had a dream that I would be a reporter/anchor in a newsroom somewhere. But when I would in vision this dream I saw this a being a 9-5 ordeal. I think about it now and the field of journalism has turned into a 24-hour job.


As if we aren’t under the most scrutiny of any profession already fb just enhanced the playing field. Between friends, employers, colleagues, there’s always somebody reading what you post. I had no idea that facebook was going to age in dog years.


And don’t even get me started on twitter. The page is like a journalist’ playgrounds, but at the same time can be a journalistic biggest nightmare, while that be you or somebody else. 250 characters to get your point across. Needless to say, a lot of room for error there.

Twitter slip-up

So now what? Do we need a code of ethical for the Internet?

HELL NAW

I don’t like the idea. Why is that I have to be a journalist 24-hours-a day-7-days-a-week? Why do I always have to be impartial? The public always complains that journalist aren’t human enough, they can’t related to us, but at the same time they want us to be unbiased. It is not natural to be unbiased. Sometimes we want to rant too.

I hope that fb, twitter, etc can just slow down their growth for a little bite. Maybe go back to their roots. Strictly entertainment. Maybe I want to have my cake and eat it too, but I just hope that when I get a real job I don’t have to triple check things that I say in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment