Saturday, June 11, 2022

Protect Kids, Not Guns

Shannon Limbach

SL668021@Ohio.Edu


Today I Marched

I went to a park today. I walked in silence among 300 strangers as I held a sign that read Protect Kids, Not Guns. We listened to speeches and grieved together as the names of the victims of the latest mass shootings were read aloud. 

                                   


When I was in elementary school, my greatest fear was not for myself but for the awkward kid who was consistently picked last for the recess kickball team. When it was my turn to be captain, I always picked him first. The traditional fire-drill was a once a month occurrence at the school and four times a year we had our regular California earthquake drill. We did not have active shooter drills. It was unheard of. 

1999

My daughter was two years old the day of the Columbine shooting. One of the high school students murdered that day was Lauren Townsend. Lauren was a valedictorian nominee. A member of the honor society. Captain of the volleyball team. 


9 News

I think about her often. She most likely would have her own little ones running around as grandma and grandpa doted on their grandchildren. But gun violence ended her life and so many others who were killed that day. 


My Daughter's Name is Lauren

I have never met the Townsend family but I made a secret promise to the them. I promised I would raise my daughter, Lauren, to be kind, spirited, academic, and a leader, just as their Lauren was before her life was tragically cut short. I feel so lucky. My daughter has grown into an accomplished young woman. 

My daughter's school years were much different than mine. Of course there was the traditional fire-drills and earthquake drills and now K-12 lockdown shooter drills. Once she entered middle school, there were self defense assemblies, which coincided with the lockdown shooter drills. The flyer sent home with the kids went as follows:

Step one: report any strange sound
Step two: If you hear active shooter alarm, barricade yourself in classroom, lock all doors
Step three: pile desks in front of entrance
Step four: hide
Step five: if shooter is in classroom, fight back if possible
Step six: if shooter is on other side of campus, escape by foot to nearest neighborhood
Step seven: don't wear bright colors to school, it makes you an easy target when running

 

NRA Public Relations  

The National Rifle Associations Convention was to take place a few days after the Columbine mass murders and only a few miles from the killings. Twenty years after that eventful day, National Public Radio received a recorded audio of a meeting that took place a day after Columbine with the NRA and their public relations firm. They huddled in distress, not over the loss of life, but for the negative press that would be coming their way. Columbine was a defining moment for the NRA. 

Over the next two decades, this unapologetic message would come to define the NRA's tone in the wake of mass shootings at American schools. After 32 people were killed at Virginia Tech in 2007  :  "This is a time for people to grieve, to mourn, and to heal. This is not a time for political discussions or public policy debates." After the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." And after the 2018 shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, the NRA's spokesperson said bluntly, "Many in legacy media love mass shootings."


The Perfect Spin

Corporate news is big business. The National Rifle Association is a 501 C4 tax exempt "non-profit" and a helluva big business. They have their own in-house public relations firm and a willing Congress to project the NRA talking points. In referencing the Financial Times article, The Invasion of Corporate News, The lines between journalism and PR are rapidly becoming blurred as business interest bypass traditional media to get their message across. The public relations tapes revealed by NPR showed an interesting connection to corporate news, messaging, and Congress. As noted in the NPR piece:  "We got a call from Congressman Tancredo, who is ... as good as they get, and he's nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof," says baker. La Pierre claims that Senate Majority Whip Don Nickles, R-Okla., had secretly asked him for talking points to use after the shooting. "I was talking to Nickles' office this morning, and what they told me is they're planning on sending them all to schools because what they wanted us to do was secretly provide them with talking pints." 

And here we go ......... the National Rifle Association public relations firms sends talking points to members of Congress. These pro-NRA members of Congress are interviewed and or quoted by every local and national paper, and it costs them nothing. 


A Master Class in Deception

October 1, 2017 - 58 Dead. An assault rifle was used to massacre 58 people enjoying a concert in Las Vegas. 500 people were injured. The NRA was praised for their "action on gun safety". 

In the article what The NRA can teach us about the art of public persuasion, "Whatever you think of the national Rifle Association you have to give them credit for some highly effective issue management. In the wake of the shooting rampage in Las Vegas, they could have dusted off their usual response after every previous mass shooting. But instead, the public relations at the NRA came up with an audacious new approach - they called for a review of the so-called bump stocks, which are devices retrofitted to turn a legal semi-automatic weapon into an illegal automatic killing machine. In issue management terms, the NRA's strategy was a classic case of "look over here" while maintaining its devotion to its core objectives."

"By seeming to give away something that is peripheral to the gun rights issue, the NRA implemented a perfect example of the tried and true "issue diversion tactic". In doing so, it positioned itself as part of the solution, rather than as a key part of they problem." 



Once again, the press ate it up faster than the slaughter of 58 people.

ABC News 

Sputnik

OC Register

The World Today


Life is Beautiful 

In late September 2017, my Lauren was in Las Vegas at the Life is Beautiful festival. The Vegas shooter booked a room overlooking the event. It was not clear if he aborted plans to carry out massacres at those sites.  



Today we marched. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon - I am incredibly moved by your blog. I grew up in Ohio and have lived in So Cal for many years. As such my views of gun ownership are drastically opposed to those of my family and friends in Ohio. My son also experienced the traditional fire-drills and earthquake drills, but as a mother nothing was more frightening than the K-12 lockdown shooter drills. I know I do not have all the answers; however, I am certain of two things that would make a huge difference - changing our culture and gun control. Both are long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Carole. I was reading some anti-gun measure folks touting a 2009 piece written by David Lampo. David writes for a number of think-tanks funded by the Koch Foundation. He wrote the piece with bias, of course. But what is frustrating to me is that the piece and statistics are outdated but resurfaces every time there's a shooting. https://www.cato.org/commentary/gun-control-myths-realities
    Unfortunately today, gun violence is the leading cause of deaths for children. https://www.npr.org/2022/05/28/1101307932/texas-shooting-uvalde-gun-violence-children-teenagers
    I agree with you. We must change our culture and gun control. Both are long overdue.
    Thank you again for taking the time to respond. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, first of all I admire your passion. Your blog was very moving. It is not often you see how people really feel on these types of subjects. I remember Columbine happening when I was in 5th grade and it was like one of those events where you feel everything will change. For example 9/11 or COVID. Expect it didn't as much as I thought. I thought there would be radical changes in gun laws and practices to keep children safe and there really wasn't. I didn't have my first active shooter drill till I was in 8th grade. more than 3 years later.
    The media has a way to spin things to their favor. I think this is why I have been so middle of the road in my politics. I try to take everything with a grain of salt when reading/watching the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon - I was a senior in high school when Columbine happened. I never had to go through an active shooter drill in school, only the typical tornado and fire drills that are common in Ohio schools. I fear for my two young nephews daily. Your post was touching, informative, and real. All the best to you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete