Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Ethics: A Journalistic Code In Change

 Bennett Snyder

bs381219@ohio.edu


    Ethics is a topic in journalism that I have never been taught before. As a sophomore at Ohio University, I feel as if the bulk of my learning towards journalism has been focused towards the basics of developing a well rounded story. Now, taking the time to study ethics in journalism, I am discovering not only how much I have to learn, but also how drastically the code of ethics is changing as time passes. 

    Social media outlets are continuing to be focused on more and more. In high school, teachers and advisors warn their students about what they are posting, as it may impact their future job opportunities. Now, publishers, such as The New York Times, are cracking down on what their own employees are allowed to post about. For example: The New York Times changed their policy earlier this month, now excluding their employees from posting about their "partisan opinion" on social media, according to an article posted on the Columbia Journalism Review

    If I was an employee, having my own freedom of speech on social media taken away from me would be a hard pill to swallow. But in this day and age, letting the general public know your own personal beliefs is the quickest way to lose your integrity as a journalist. Bias is much easier to spot when readers know the author's underlying beliefs. 

Yet in some cases, others believe that by limiting author's socials media privileges, publishers are actually hurting the exact point they are trying to make. When big name publishers make their employees stay objective on a critical topic, some believe that it makes those employees seem like flat out liars. The reality is that they have a point, everyone has their own opinions. Whether those opinions agree with others, are well educated, or are even over the same topics, everyone has opinions. 



Dan Kennedy does a great job of tackling this debate over neutrality. He touches on similar beliefs as myself, everyone has their own opinion. "Providing tough, fair-minded coverage is a discipline that is undermined once you disclose your own bias," states Kennedy. Defending employers power on limiting their author's privileges on social media, Kennedy takes a well rounded approach to explaining the topic at hand. 

Looking for examples in my preferred career, broadcast journalism, I was able to find one that I connected with very well. Tony Romo played 14 seasons in the NFL for the Dallas Cowboys. Recently, Romo accepted a job for CBS to sit next to Jim Nantz in the broadcasting booth every Sunday to call various NFL games. Although Romo has a deep loving for the Dallas Cowboys, he never lets his own opinions get in the way of calling an unbiased game. Because of this, Romo has quickly become a fan favorite in the NFL community. 

Moving forward, I have a newfound appreciation for learning about ethics in journalism. Nobody knows what the future holds in my career, not even myself. Having a solid understanding of how quickly ethics can change in journalism is a skill that will stick with me throughout my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment