Thursday, May 14, 2009

Don't Allow Content to be Censored by Advertisers

Alissa Griffith

All I can say is "Wow". I've never thought about advertising and how it may or may not affect journalism. I always think the two (editorial content and sales) are seperate. I read magazines a lot and I have noticed that a lot of the magazines will have advertisements that can almost be mistaken as another article. I have a pretty good eye for that type of thing.

I get duped by online advertisements all the time. There have been many times when I have clicked on an advertisement by accident because I thought it was a link to another article. Normally ads will be banners at the top of the website, but lately, I've noticed that the ads are on the sides and those are the ones I click on.

I don't mind that though. What I do mind is the media allowing their content to be censored by the people who they advertise for. I was appalled by the story of Cosmo Girl in the CJR article. I am still confused as to why Cosmo allowed a Detroit auto company to censor the "How to Be Very Good in Bed" article. (I'm also confused as to why Cosmo Girl even had an article like that because the magazine is supposedly geared toward high schoolers, but I digress).

Just before writing this blog, I went to CNN's website and it had this across the top of the front page:



It is an advertisment for an upcoming special on CNN about how economic headlines are affecting viewers. However, it is presented by Bank of America. Now, after reading the articles, I am not so sure I am convinced that CNN made production decisions without the potential rewards and consequences of Bank of America in mind. I don't like that at all.

I think that the media definitely needs money; however, these stations, papers and magazines should stand up to the advertisers and not allow their need of money to cloud their ethical judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment