Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Public Relations, what for?

Christian Donald
cd341620@ohio.edu

 

At the beginning of this week's reading I thought I knew what public relations was all about. Boy, was I wrong! I thought public relations people were employees who when a problem arises they created statements that were released to the press. To put it simply, damage control. However after reading this weeks material I now know that public relations involves much more, and also now know what kind of things to watch for future readings on forums. What I am talking about with regards to forums is what is called Astroturfing, this is a problem that I had never heard of before but is something I have probably seen before.

 

Picture source: The Cleveland Indians have recently changed their team's name and logo.

Ethics 

After doing this weeks reading, public relations takes on a whole new meaning to me. Before, as I stated in the introduction was just as I said, damage control. However, public relations doesn't have to be here just for a problem, but also can be a way a dealing with the public to eradicate things the public doesn't like, and the public relations' company comes to agree with. I am a big sports fan, and recently indigenous people wanted the names of the Washington Redskins, and my favorite sports team the Cleveland Indians changed. If it were not for public relations in situations like these tensions can rise if matters are not dealt with and are put to the side when the public deems them necessary. In the situations that I named earlier with the sports teams, both names were changed. Here is the link to the story about the sports teams I was talking about.

Astroturfing 

Astroturfing is something I had never heard of before but is something that I am starting to take serious, and hope that this problem doesn't get too out of control. Astroturfing is where company employees' make up profiles and join online conversations trying to persuade the public to join their side on a matter relating to an interest that the employees' company plays a part. While I myself do not take part in much online conversations about political issues or things other than sports matters, I find this problem to be very concerning and hope that is brought to a halt, I feel that if caught astroturfing a business should have to pay a penalty. Here is another article I found that did a good job explaining this problem.

4 comments:

  1. Christian, I think most people typically associate PR professionals with "damage control". To an extent, you are correct, as they are responsible for the overall health of the organization. Just as they are quick to save the day, they can also cause the opposite effect, leading to disastrous results. As we found throughout the readings and as you had mentioned, astroturfing is a prime example of the misuse of PR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought of PR as people who just clean up other peoples messes! I found it very interesting to learn more about the PR profession and their responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astroturfing is so easy to spot and is so deceptive, I'm surprised people fall for it. Most profiles linked to responses are brand new, the commenters' "voice" doesn't change with the profile, or they over articulate messages that they want the viewer to receive.

    Also, I'm happy with the new name of the Indians. While I'll miss Chief Wahoo, I understand and support the efforts that the team has made to do the right thing. Plus there is a campaign to get Rocket and Groot as the new mascot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christian,

    I am really glad you chose to highlight this for your blog. I am almost wish I thought of it! It is very important to highlight what astroturfing really is. Public relations is huge in these situations like the name and logo change because you are absolutely right, the public for sure had mixed feelings.

    ReplyDelete