In a world of what have you done for me lately; it becomes clear that journalists strive to remain in the forefront of the people. Whether one is going for a coveted editor job at a major newspaper or maybe an anchor position at a major T.V. affiliate, lines seem to be crossed. Of course, the real question at hand would be who defines those lines?
- Show compassion for those adversely affected by said tragedy.
- Be sensitive when seeking interviews or photographs of victims.
- Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance.
- Only an overriding public need can justify intrusion into anyone’s privacy.
- Show good taste. Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity.
- Be cautious about identifying victims.