Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Social Media Struggle

Aesia Toliver
at067112@ohio.edu

Todays Times Makes It Hard
Today’s world revolves around technology and social media handles. For many people (yes I am guilty too) the first motion they make when waking up is reaching for their cellphone and scrolling through Twitter or Instagram. Social media has become such a crucial part of our lives—we share everything from what we’re doing to what food we are eating. However, there is always the question of just how much information is TOO much information to have out there. It’s hard to distinguish the line between personal and professional, which is probably why people have not done a very good job at it.

My Choices
For me, I made the decision to make my Facebook public—after going through and carefully soliciting my posts. I chose this decision because I am extremely careful about what I post to Facebook because I have everything from family to old employers as my friends. My theory was, if it wasn't okay for my grandma to see it, it probably shouldn't be posted.            

As for Twitter I am aware that many users create two separate accounts. There would be one account for their personal use, and one for their professional use. That idea seemed rather extensive to me, but I know several people it works for. As for me, I just have one Twitter account that is private. However, as many cases have shown, privacy settings aren’t bulletproof so I am still careful before posting. 
 
Click here to check out this article on how to make your social media accounts as safe as possible.  

Just Think About It             
I strongly believe that social network pages are a reflection of whom they represent. My dad works for a Fortune 500 Company where he interviews people everyday. He admitted that he will look up the pages of prospective employees and if they look like trouble he won’t give them a second call.              
At the end of day, is a risky post worth your career?  It’s important for students to hold themselves to the standards of a professional early. The whole point of becoming a college student and spending all of those hours studying is to land that dream job. And wouldn't it be such a waste if one crazy weekends pictures prevented you from attaining your goals?             

I firmly believe it’s all about balance. The “To Friend Or Not To Friend” article by the American Journalism Review said it best when trying to determine what information to post, “A good litmus test is to imagine if the information available on their profiles was printed on the front page of a newspaper. "Would you be embarrassed? Would you mind? Would it reflect poorly on you?". 
 
Short, Sweet, and to the Point: 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiMWUk3wgUM

No comments:

Post a Comment