Thursday, September 5, 2013

Journalism: Evolving Through the Years

Laurie Ewart
le060610@ohio.edu


When I chose to attend Ohio University for strategic communications, I was aware that the degree fell within Scripps School of Journalism, but I was not unaware of how far I would be delving into journalism. Along the way, the most important aspect of journalism I have noticed is change. The art of journalism is constantly changing.

Have I questioned my major because of the "dying field" or how harsh the public can be? Yes.

After reading Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel's chapters from The Element of Journalism, I found myself questioning my major (once again) but also feeling reassured.

To Define Journalism, is to Limit it.

In Chapter 1, Kovach and Rosenstiel discuss that many journalists feel that defining journalism is dangerous, that it will limit it. Many think that by defining journalism we would be violating the First Amendment. But, the biggest concern about defining journalism is that it may cause it to stop evolving, eventually allowing it to die.

Contrary to what I thought, Kovach and Rosenstiel say that the resistance to define journalism is a fairly new principle. In fact, many years ago newspaper companies basically wrote their opinions and beliefs all over their publications; this is the way readers chose which paper with which they best identified. But, as the press industry became more corporate, monopolistic lawyers warned companies that voicing their beliefs could have legal repercussions.

I say we go back to the old way! Why not? I'm sure most of us want the people in our lives to be open and honest with us about how they feel; that's how we choose friends. Why not allow publications to share with us their company beliefs so we can choose the one we like best?


Purpose vs. Form

Kovach and Rosenstiel also discuss the fact that some people will argue that "not only should journalism's purpose be unchanging, but it's form should be constant as well."

I agree with half of this statement -- the first half. As journalists I believe we have a responsibility to give the public information about topics they are interested in, but in a truthful and ethical manor. I believe that has, and always will, be our main focus.

However, I highly disagree that the form of journalism should never change. If this were the case half of the population in the U.S. would barely be getting any type of news. Many of our lives our too fast paced to sit down and grab a newspaper. Fifty years ago, that wasn't the case, but today it is.
As a strategic communications major, I find this commercial not only adorable but also relevant to the topic at hand. Although, it is advertising for Coca-Cola, this advertisement does an excellent job showing how much lifestyles have changed over the last couple generations. 

The form of journalism must change in order to accommodate the change in lifestyles.

Awareness Instinct

The "awareness instinct" says that people crave news out of instinct, thus explaining why people have shared a similar interest in news throughout history and cultures. 

People feel the need to know what's happening near them that they have yet to experience themselves. "Knowledge of the unknown gives the security," said Kovach and Rosenstiel. 

This "awareness instinct" in human beings has evolved right along with journalism. In the beginning, people only cared about hard news, politics, crime, etc. 

As our generation has come into play, it is obvious that entertainment news is becoming much more popular. I'm not saying there aren't several college students who do not care about entertainment news but most do. There is no shame in that. I admit I love entertainment news, but I also enjoy reading a great article about something that may actually impact my life. 

While I do love both sides of journalism, I also believe there is a time and a place for each. For instance, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that CNN is running a two and a half minute story on how a couple had sex every day for a year. Sure, there must be someone out there who cares about the story, but I doubt someone who is frequenting CNN is looking for that type of story. I don't think these types of stories align with CNN's reputation. But maybe they are just trying to evolve with the rest of the world.

Journalism is and must evolve to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment