Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Journalism Ethics Meet The Big Screen


By Alex Mazer
am158905@ohio.edu

Good Night and Good Luck is a story of a television newsman of the 1950s who is bringing to light the unethical practices of Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the communist scare. This ethical issue took center stage, but there were many other issues highlighted throughout the film.

When Edward R. Murrow first decides to go with the story, the CEO of the network brings him into his office to pressure him not to run with the story. This is a situation where a journalist must "stick to their guns" and move forward if they feel it is a factual story that can be proven and the public should know about. We as journalists should not allow higher figures in the network to pressure us against going with a story.

Other issues include the situation where a reporter received a classified folder from a source. Is it ethical to use the information in that folder if the source got it illegally? Would you accept the folder if it were you in that situation? Another ethical issue was brought to my attention with the quote "Get out there and make some news."

I should say that it is surprising to hear from a news director such a statement. However, I'm sure it's not the first, nor will it be the last time a news director utters such words. We should be reporting on what is happening; no matter how exciting or bland the news of that day is. It is not okay to go out and make something happen just to have an entertaining story. This is highly unethical.

After watching the movie I really began to realize all the ethical issues a journalist deals with on a day to day basis. I have always known that there are certain times a journalist will always have to make tough decisons with their work, but seeing it on the big screen really made it realistic for me.

There are always going to be issues that we have to face day to day in the newsroom. I feel as a journalist I need to have my own set of morals and values and no matter what i have to face I need to stay true to what I believe in. I don't believe we should allow others to compromise our individual values.

Good Night and Good Luck brings to life one of the greatest of all ethical issues a journalist will have to face. I think it is a great film that really makes you stop and think about what your own personal decisions would be should such an issue cross your path in your future career.


No comments:

Post a Comment